RE: VTS - organizing tours to students advantage

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:55:44 -0500

Reatha,
At CAM we do split the students time (elementary). They spend approximately
25 minutes in the gallery with a staff member looking at and discussing the
art, 25 minutes creating art, 5 minutes cleaning the art studio (you'd be
amazed what a good job they do), 5 minutes summarizing what they have
learned and what they have done. The activities in the art studio are
related to the exhibit, and they can see the exhibit from the art studio. If
they wish students can stay in the gallery to look at the exhibit. They just
don't have enough time. We give them passes to come back, but we don't see
enough coming back into the museum. I'd like to expand the time, but we are
cramming the classes into the museum as tightly was we can now. I'm thinking
maybe offer expanded tours as an option earlier in the semester, and 1 hour
tours as the only option in the last month of an exhibit or semester (when
everybody wants to come).
The biggest thing that takes away from students time visiting the museum is
the group being late and needing to use the washroom as soon as they get
here. I know it's not usually the teachers fault, busses run late, or the
trip takes longer than expected. I recommend teachers pad their schedule by
about 10 minutes in town (it's a small city), and 15 minutes for out of town
groups (we serve a 15 county area of West Texas). I also tell out of town
groups to check with the bus drivers before finalizing their time, since
school busses have a lower speed limit in Texas it might take longer than
they think to get to town.
Kimberly Herbert
Children's Art Museum Administrator
San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts and Children's Art Museum
P.O. Box 3092 San Angelo, TX 76902
915/ 659-4391