RE: 2 subjects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Mon, 24 May 1999 10:01:11 -0400

Although I, too, get annoyed at the negative publicity schools get-and it
happens here, too, I must admit that we have 2 tv stations who spotlight
good things. One station is co-sponsor of the Scholastic Art Awards in our
region and of course, puts that on the news. They also co-sponsor our Local
Teacher of the Year Awards and come out to interview and film the 5
finalists. The tapes are shown at the banquet and given to each of the
finalists. They are also shown as commercial blurbs on regular tv. The other
major station does a weekly segment entitled "What's Right With our
Schools." We have 95 public schools in our district and many private ones. I
don't think 50 schools is much of an excuse. Good luck in your quest for
good publicity. Linda in NC

----------
From: RWilk85411
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 1999 9:35 AM
To: jfgro; artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: 2 subjects

I think Judy has made a good point. If anyone can come up with a way
interest local news media in what we are doing in the schools other
than our
troubles, I think it would be wonderful. It seems like once in a
blue moon
someone will work with the local paper or one of the TV stations who
is
genuinely interested in reporting the good things as well as the
bad. But it
doesn't happen very often. The excuse in our area is that there are
approximately 50 schools and they can't cover all of them all of the
time.
WELL, they could come when we call them about something couldn't
they? And
still not everything, but something. I'm not the one to come up with
the
idea, obviously, I can't even get our school TV news program to
cover things
that we are doing and they tape in my studio building. They have to
come
through our classroom to get to their studio! I just get a camcorder
and tape
stuff that we are doing for our archives. I'm not sure that I would
want them
to cover us anyway. Everything they do ends up being a joke or funny
in some
way. That class is all about having fun. Even the kids have gotten
to where
they don't want to watch it. HMMMMMMMMMM Maybe that's what wrong
with the
local pros. They just want to chase ambulances. Maybe they haven't
grown up.
Maybe that is what separates the locals from Jane Pauley, Tom
Brokaw, Barbara
Walters. HMMMMMMMMM.
Reatha