Re: Building esteem for student artwork

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
charlotte griswold (griswald)
Sun, 23 May 1999 13:30:44 -0700

Hello...while this may not be exactly pertinent, I have had some success with
sponsoring a Wax Museum which while I do it with ancient history, could just as
easily be done with artists.
It is a long process featuring I-search papers on some aspect of ancient History,
with the culminating activity being a display of the papers, and a performance in
costume of all the students (60 this year) at open house, and for the parents. In
the past, we tried to do it during the school day, and had problems with the older
students who had never participated. There was lots of harrassment. This year
when we moved it to the evening venue, it was very successful. Actually, I was
pleased that while rehearsing during the school day, many eight graders walked by
and wanted to know if they could come. They did, and all was well.
Next year, we hope to expand the process to all classes, and widen the scope to all
subject areas. Hope it all works
Charlotte