Re: art documentation-1subject

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sun, 23 May 1999 11:20:39 -0400

RWilk85411 wrote:
> I can't even get our school TV news program to cover things
> that we are doing and they tape in my studio building. They have to come
> through our classroom to get to their studio! I just get a camcorder and tape
> stuff that we are doing for our archives.
>Reatha

So what if we internalized this problem, and instead of looking
outward for support to local newscasters and unappreciative students
not in art, we think of corporations or Getty or NAEA (Duh, whatever
it's called that i've never gone to yet-oops looked it up). How
about self documentation of certain lessons, critique styles, or
group projects and then display them at Naea in a room with chairs
that had a tv with continuous loops going. Throughout the day you
could go in and pick up a sheet which would tell you the name of the
school, the teacher the project etc.
Do they not have this at NAEA? I have never been, but have been
teaching and in the arts, whether doing sets, working with
bands,museums or private schools and it seems to me that you need to
keep stimulation as well as freebies for patrons/fellow teachers of
NAEA. See when I stated art school "79- Performance art was at it's
peak at my school. Some how Dale Eldred had the dissatisfaction of
having it put in sculpture instead of Media/photography??? Many of
the same people were also in printmaking????? Anyway to self explore
and solve problems always think>
What could we do different? How can we change this to our advantage?
It seems reasonable to me that everyone who goes to Naea would
benefit and then those that can't go should have an opportunity or
buying or renting a copy of the tapes when they are done. Also hand
out a sheet to be returned of an evaluation of the classes and to
give your rating plus comments to improve. I guess it's all my years
of coordinating and working with volunteers that let's this be so
easy to see a solution for.
All those in favor of a art community documentation to be displayed
at NAEA raise your hands!
Aye> but I don't count!
By the way split the docum. into categories like the ages of
children's books. This could also help students as well as teachers.
I'll help if anyone is interested> but I have no funds. I think I
made a grand total of 1,500$ last year and of course was taxed! This
year will be better!
Sandra Barrick
astroboy