Re: 2 subjects

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sun, 23 May 1999 06:33:17 -0700

Judy Grochowski wrote:

> Hi all,
> I wanted to tap y'all on two subjects....
>
> 1. How many of you have an end of the year art exhibit which is truly 'end'
> of the year? We are
> considering moving it to the week before exams, and even using it as our
> final exam...each semester. Comments?

Hi, Judy,

I have changing displays in the hallway throughout the year. I commandeered the glass
case in the lobby a long time ago, so now it's mine by default :) With the high rate of
vandalism and disrespect towards other students' things here (Bluestruth can empathize),
I have never attempted a big, open, overall show like so many of you do. Our district
recently had its _first_ district-wide science fair, and it was sad to see projects
being mishandled or deliberately messed up.

The year-round displays still get student work into the public conciousness, builds
interest in the program, and are do-able without all the stress you guys have. The only
real "year-end" or semester-end display we have is if there's an independent study
student putting on a one-person show (which is required). And that _is_ part of their
final grade.

I liked your idea of using the final show as part of their grade, but then you have to
take it all down and hand it all back in addition to all the other stuff you need to do
EOY. If enthusiasm wanes after the show as it stands now, can you save some really fun
stuff for those last few weeks--I'm thinking macrame, animation, calligraphy (stuff my
students really get into)?

Best wishes for the remainder of the year.

Maggie