Re: creativity/classroom management

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 18 May 1999 18:41:52 -0700

Stenger - Judith DiSalvo wrote:

> I like this quote on creativity and parameters:
>
> "Creativity requires limits, for the creative act arises out of the
> struggle of human beings with and against that which limits them."
> Rollo May
>
> Judy

This is a great quote. It's similar to one that Jacques D'Amboise, the
choreographer and teacher, said in a speech at the AZ AEA conference a
long time ago. He started out by saying that "Art is about limitations,"
and described how artists seek ways around those limitations. I've used
this idea in my own teaching by limiting the choices the students may
have in their assignments (number of colors; size; subject; etc.), so
they must devise creative ways to expand their work beyond those limits.

Maggie