Re: classroom management

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Michelle H. Harrell (mmhar)
Mon, 17 May 1999 18:30:46 PDT

Concerning classroom management, I also would like to add my "arrive to
class on time, prepared and begin bellwork." The first 5 min. is bellwork (a
reading or writing assignment usually), then D & D (Directions and
Discussion), then Studio, and lastly Clean-up and Closure. I like Harry
Wong's theories of practicing procedure beginning on the first days of
school. It really feels good when I have to be a couple of minutes late and
walk in and kids are almost finished their first task because they are used
to starting it. It puts them in the right mind set and gives them real
routine which helps to keep them on task (like you mentioned). We also get
more accomplished when time is organized this way. We don't exactly live a
military life- we vary it for critiques and other activities.

Michelle H. Harrell
mmhar
North Garner Middle School
Garner, North Carolina
_____
/ \
( ) "Art is the form of the picture that has come
! ^ ^ ! into being through the nerves, heart,
^! * * ! ^ brain, and eye of man."
! \ ^ / ! -Edvard Munch
( ( 0 ) ) 1907
\ --- /