Re: VTS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Elizabeth Stroud (stroud0718)
Mon, 17 May 1999 13:46:00 -0400

I was fortunate to hear Phil Yenawine present at The Amon Carter Museum in 1991
or 1992. He introduced this VTS concept to our docents as a way to create more
interactive tours in the museum. I don't even remember the strategy as having a
title, but it seems to be what so many of you have been discussing in the past
week. Since I left museum education and became an art teacher, I continue to
rely on this strategy. I remember Mr. Yenawine began each discussion of the
work with, "What do you see? What do you see in the work that supports that
comment?" etc...

I teach K-12 and adapt this questioning strategy to all levels. However, I do
began to weave in art historical info. and higher level criticism questions
after the students are used to referring to the work for answers. With my older
students, I do leave alot of the research up to them.

To me, the greatest benefit in the VTS strategy is that it forces you to be
interactive and allow the students to lead the questioning. Since I struggle
with the tendency to give too much information, this is really helpful to me.