Re: Interviews

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Mon, 17 May 1999 10:32:10 -0400

KHeifetz wrote:

> I am baffled as what to ask potential candidates in the interview
> selection....beyond behavior ......do you feel it is important to show a
> strong portfolio of personal work, as well as, a portfolio of student work,
> lesson plans, possible tape of one's teaching...what about getting along with
> teaching peers and attempts to get along with those one or two cantankerous
> few that everyone has in a department......what accounts for excessive sick
> and family days...should attendance for these items influence hiring
> practices...what about people who are hired part time ....should they work
> equally as much or should they just come and go because they are part
> time....should they cooperate with all the other art teachers even though
> they may possibly spend meg amounts of time after school working with
> students ...clubs...activities????? Help!! anna

I think some of the most important things in a potential new hires
portfolio are the quality of their lesson plans (are they based upon the
principles of DBAE) and pictures or videos showing them interacting with
students. Other things of importance is of course their atwork, their
philosophy of ed., teaching strategies, etc. Communication skills are
essential and of course their goals as an art educator. Some of the
best artists could make lousy teachers, especially in a public school
system.

Just my opinion.
Ricki in NJ