Re: spring lessons ideas?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
M.Grosspietsch (teachart)
Sun, 16 May 1999 17:51:11 -0500

I've been on this list for nearly 3 years, even though I don't
contribute that often...but sometimes I feel myself reacting strongly
and have to ask, what is it that is making me feel so defensive?

What I am getting at is something I hope everyone reads in the spirit of
this search/journey I am going through. The attached note from Chandra
is only for example, since it's the most recent of this type of query. I
am not trying to pick on her in any way.

Having stated my disclosure, my response to this type of question (which
has been asked hundreds of times), is this: Are you asking for lessons
about "spring" and just not stating the art concepts you intend to
teach, or are you asking for lessons about "spring" just to kill time?

Spring can be connected to some universal themes found across cultures:
rebirth, new beginnings, how we see flowers, what is it about flowers
that is attractive (enough to make gardening the #1 hobby in the
U.S.)... there are plenty of still life paintings of flowers from way
back when to Warhol and beyond. An art history lesson based on a floral
theme could happen...

I just want to put in my two cents that I think it's important that we
continue to teach art concepts, whether "spring" or some other seasonal
activity is taking place. Otherwise, the public will continue to see us
as providers of "recreational" activities--and that perception is not
healthy for our profession.

I hope my wording has been diplomatic enough to be kept off of people's
toes. My comments are meant to raise questions about our roles as art
educators in general--please read them with that in mind.

M.Grosspietsch