Re: "Best Art Student" Award?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Fri, 15 May 2099 06:14:04 -0400

Erin wrote:

>I am also interested in finding an answer to Janines' question. We are
>thinking about starting a perminant gallery of student work at our school.
>How does one pick? I would somehow like to have it be the choice of the
>students and faculty, not just the art teacher!
>~Erin

Linda K. replied:
Erin, would it be possible for the art teacher to save student work in a
portfolio for nearly a schoolyear and then have a selection committee? Work
could be selected by student vote, a committee of parents, teachers,
community members, etc. Perhaps some could be color xeroxed so the child
could have the original or the copy. Saving work year to year could get
bulky unless you are extremely selective or have a process for returning
work. I have this vision of handing the work back to the students as they
graduate high school. My junior high art teacher had 3 pieces of my work
that he gave me when I graduated from college. I can't tell you how much
that meant to me. Linda K. in Iowa