Re: best artists/evidence

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Joseph Augusta (jaugusta)
Sat, 15 May 1999 06:56:00 -0400

marcia m eaton wrote:

> It occurs to me that the discussion about awarding prizes for best artists
> should be put before students themselves. What do they think about
> awarding prizes?

Not a good idea---the pressure on the students to vote for rewarding prizes
would be too great--like asking them to vote on whether or not they should say
a harmless prayer each morning. Furthermore, comparing intellectual activities
to physical prowess is unsound--unless you've seen something on your TV like
the NBA playoffs going on now, involving teams of artists painting off against
each other rather than basketball players dribbling and shooting hoops!

Best wishes,
Joseph