Re: "Best Art Student" Award?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 14 May 1999 22:11:27 -0400

Janine --
Re: this kind of award at the elem. level, I CRINGE!! So many reasons not
to do it -- hurt feelings and a big blow to self-confidence among the most
compelling. (I still remember not receiving the award in 6th grade!) What
I have done is to give awards to our graduating 5th graders who have
received perfect A grades on all their assignments from 2nd grade on. I
don't grade on talent, I grade on skill attained (filling up the background
with color, for example, or mixing primaries to create secondaries, no
oozy glue...etc.) Getting an award is attainable for every student.