Re: interviews

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 14 May 1999 21:56:03 -0400

BT and all --
Your suggestions bring to mind my first real interview for an elementary
art position. I was so nervous! Four administrators around a table asking
me questions (I had gotten my degree 10 years earlier, taken time off to
raise kids...kind of out of the loop). I realized the depth of my
shortcomings when I was asked a question similar to the ones you pose, ...
My answer to "what would you do in response to this particularly
challenging behavior in class" was a stammered "gee, that's a good
question..." -- that's all I said!! A few stints at substitute teaching
gave me the experience needed (and how!) to formulate a more complete
teaching strategy.
On the other hand, I liked the interview question -- "what successes have
you had?"
Liz in rural NY

----------
> From: BluesTruth
>
> When I was interviewed, I was asked 9 times out of ten about hypothetical

> behaviorial probs. more than I was asked about curriculum, lesson plans,
> teaching units, ideas, and teaching strategies. There are quite a few
> probs. where I teach--Chicago--inner city. I guess you can tell a lot
about
> the person you are interviewing in their dealings with children. Anyone
can
> write a lesson plan. Anyone can write or give a test, etc. Not
everyone
> can deal with kids effectively--especially the challenges.
> If I were interviewing a teacher, I would ask them how they would deal
with a
> kid who refuses to work, refuses to do homework, refuses to cooperate
with
> his teachers & classmates, uses profanities, etc. In other words, how
do
> you deal with the most difficult child? How do you reach the high risk
> child? (Yes, you tried everything, called parents, suspensions,
etc.--you
> went the whole 9 yards).
> My whole interview would be centered around that question. Some of our
most
> educated
> and published teachers in our school are the least effective. I am not
> generalizing, but I can think of a teacher or two in our school who just

> received their master's degrees and the kids run all over them. They
might
> have gotten all "A's" in college. Big deal--they can't control their
kids.
> We also have 2 ex-lawyers. The 2 worst behaved classes in the whole
school.
> Love to hear what others say about this. Please list all answers.
Thanks!