Re: importance of art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Fri, 14 May 1999 20:50:10 -0500

As I recall, Eisner stated that there were many other variables that
were not considered in coming to those conclusions about the higher test
scores. For example, though the students had art for more than one year,
they also had parents who were more involved than students with lower
scores (or more AP courses, or more of something else). No proof then
that it was the art that increased the scores.
We can agree or disagree with any or all of these things, but the point
I wanted to make was that we should be very careful about any claims we
make on behalf of our art programs. If we use invalid research to
promote art education, sooner or later we will just look foolish.
Linda in Michigan