Visual Thinking Skills

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ayesha Jones (ayeshajones)
Fri, 14 May 1999 15:52:01 -0700 (PDT)

I attended a workshop on MOMA's visual thinking skills program. I have
to say I was pretty appalled and wondered if anyone else had thoughts
about this approach.

Basically, in a museum, you present a group with an artwork and ask,
what do you think is going on and why do you think so? There's no
attempt to bring in information about the artist or the media or the
art historical era. Students speculate without much context at all.
Yes, discussion is encouraged, creative thinking is encouraged, but
content is not. Wrong or misguided meanings are not discouraged.
Students' opinions should be honored and there are many answers to the
questions art asks, but there are wrong answers too.

But perhaps others know more about this approach. Thoughts?

Ayesha