RE: Art reward and competition

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rich Stephen J Contr ACC/CEVP (stephen.rich)
Fri, 14 May 1999 10:28:43 -0400

I agree with your thoughts on intrinsic motivation. I would rather not
have grades at all at the primary level. If you got to be the students'
teacher from primary all the way through till they graduate I would agree
about your thoughts on secondary too. Unfortunately, by the time a student
begins secondary they will inevitably have had a teacher introduce extrinsic
motivation to them. The very system of grades fosters extrinsic motivation.
I don't agree with it, but I think it would hurt more to take an extrinsic
reward system away once introduced. Imagine the following scenerio:
Student is asked to draw. -S/he's happy just to draw for drawings sake.
Student is given a $1 per drawing. -now the motivation has changed to
money.
Student is no longer given money, but still asked to draw. -"why draw?" the
student asks.
Maybe I'm mislabeling my favorite drive. What drove me to excellence in
art most of all was to be the best. Peer competition made me work until I
was sure my artwork was the best in the class. I wanted to be accepted as
such too. But a drive isn't a reward, is it? I could only think of
extrinsic rewards that would help nurture peer competition though. I like
your idea of a critique versus physical awards much better. It's more
objective, less intrusive, accomplishes my peer acceptance objective, and
takes the pressure off of the teacher in coming up with something good and
different to say about each student's art - especially the blander peices.