Re: Art reward and competition

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Salvador Wilcox (salvador_wilcox)
Fri, 14 May 1999 06:56:12 PDT

Rich, I understand the distinction you are making. however, children don't
need teachers to tell them that their work is good enough. what we want to
foster is their intrinsic motivation rather then our telling them their work
is valuable. if you want to do something that celebrates their work, why
not have each class display their favorite piece of the year and then have
the class discuss each piece. this way, the student gets feedback from the
other students (30 opinions rather than one teacher's). plus, it gets the
student to reflect on the work. this is "rewarding" to the child's esteem
but more important, it is a good way to get children to learn to reflect. i
agree with you about competition in the elementary. but i extend that to
the secondary level as well. we need to foster cooperation rather than
stratification.

salvador wilcox