RE: importance of art education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Fri, 14 May 1999 09:48:08 -0400

I'm not sure I agree, but nevertheless, participation in art (and "the
arts") has been shown to improve school attendance and discipline.
Improvement in both of these can only help improve learning. And-if it
doesn't, why has the college board put out statistics that show higher
scores on the sat for students who've taken more than one year of an arts
course? Linda in NC

----------
From: lindacharlie
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 1999 7:26 PM
To: vvance
Cc: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: importance of art education

In his session at the NAEA convention, Elliot Eisner made the point
that
much of the research you are looking for is flawed and therefore
invalid. Someone on the list said he had an article in "Art
Education"
not too long ago in which he went into detail about this. As much as
we
would like to believe that art improves academic learning, this has
not
been proven in research and it is not a firm foundation on which to
build an art program. (If scores don't improve it will be "art's
fault"!)
Linda in Michigan

Vicki Vance wrote:

> Does Art Education help Children's Grades in School?
>
> > I am on a curriculum committee which is considering improving
the art program in our small school district. We could use any information
or statistics that would explain
> art's value for our children and society in general.
> >
> > Perhaps someone could recommend some web sites, books or
articles that I could research and photocopy for our presentation
particularly in the area of reading.