RE: importance of art education --- 7 Intelligences/Holistic

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rich Stephen J Contr ACC/CEVP (stephen.rich)
Fri, 14 May 1999 09:12:38 -0400

Instead of viewing academic education in the tradional
logical/mathmatical approach, perhaps you could site
Gardner's 7 multiple intelligences. Art is definately
neccessary for a complete education in that case, and
has intelligence catagory(s) that are just as important
as math and science catagories.
I agree with Linda that in proving art's value, using
test scores is the wrong way to do it. You might do
better to argue the case using authentic assessment. Art
isn't going to magically put more formulas and other facts
in their heads, but it does teach creativity and problem
solving skills. These skills would be reflected though
authentic assessment.
Another tact you could take is arguing art as it relates
to a holistic education. Aesthetics is a subcatagory of
ethics...I'm a little weak making an argument here. I'd
like to think that Art makes us better people. Also I
definately FEEL better if I've sat down and done some art
recently. Maybe someone else on the list can help me out
here.