Re: interviews --- professionalism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Fri, 14 May 1999 21:01:41 -0400

Rich Stephen J Contr ACC/CEVP wrote:

> > I am a stickler on presenting myself as a professional.
>
> I don't have anything of value to offer to your interview
> question, but your statement interested me. How do you
> define being a professional?
> I define being a professional as someone who works
> conscientiously, putting his or her best effort towards
> every task. My teacher ed books define it as belonging to
> a professional institution. Then the books goes on to make
> arguments as to why teaching would or wouldn't be considered
> a professional institution. Some people seem to define it
> as wearing suits and having prestigious jobs.
> How do Art Teachers define or present themselves as
> professionals?

A professional to me, is someone who is well-trained and knowledgeable
in their field. They show up at work everyday, and on time. They
arrive at work with a good, positive attitude, leaving their personal
problems outside of their profession.

Being an Art Educator will be my third career, so I cannot say how Art
Teachers defines themselves as being a professional, per say. However,
I can't see why this profession is any different from an attorney or
business person, except for the pay!

Thanks for listening.
Ricki in NJ