Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Lesson Plans

Re: Recycling clay- fungus and throats

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
The Cheevers (lazydog)
Sun, 9 May 1999 20:40:53 -0400

Clay is heavily influenced by the organic matter that is in it. Remeber this
stuff is dug from the ground initially then minerals are added to give it
different properties. Organic matter when exposed to air will grow matter
that is in the clay. Not much you can do about it but take an allergy pill
or keep your recycling to a minimum. Have the students work with used clay
throughout the project so not much has to be recycled....... Lisa in VA
-----Original Message-----
From: Michelle H. Harrell <mmhar>
To: <>; <>
Date: Thursday, May 06, 1999 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: Recycling clay- fungus and throats

>Linda- Maybe NC does have something weird in the clay or air because the
>friend of mine who said she felt hoarse and sick was in NC, too! There is
>even some kind of fungus that has air-borne spores that can be deadly. I
>don't remember what source I heard that from. About preventing mold, I now
>keep clay covered tightly when in the buckets. Mold will grow on clay when
>it's exposed to air for long periods of time(I think- I'm not the expert).
>The dust that comes from dry clay is as bad for you to inhale as asbestos.
>There's no telling what makes us throats sore with all of the fumes, dust,
>and fungi we deal with from day to day.
>>From: "Fields, Linda" <>
>>To: "'Michelle H. Harrell'" <mmhar>
>>CC: "''" <>
>>Subject: RE: Recycling clay
>>Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:38:29 -0400
>>Maybe we have some weird fungi or mold or something in NC-I have the same
>>problem whenever my kids use clay for an extended period, but I always
>>thought it was the dust. Linda in NC BTW-how do you prevent mold from
>>growing in clay that is waiting to be recycled?
>Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit