Teaching with applied knowledge

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Sat, 08 May 1999 20:35:33 -0400

"S. Henneborn" wrote:

> Leah and Cynthia and others who have expressed this concern,
>
> I would like to add my opinion to this thread because it is taking the
> pleasure from the teachers and the students. I welcome the high standards but
> I don't want the pressure to spoil a "good thing" I have read several posts
> which mention having to teach so many different cultures. If the test is
> designed well this should not be an issue. Social Studies is under the gun
> to cover specific cultures. I think the objective for ART is to be able to
> compare and contrast and if you have taught those skills for a few cultures
> then the test takers should be able to apply those skills to the art forms of
> any culture given on the test. If they are practiced in the language they will
> be able to apply what they have assimilated to any culture even if it is new
> to them.
Let me tell you of an interview with Howard Gardner and E.D. Hirsch
I heard recently on NPR.
Basically he was talking about "central focus". That schools should
pick a theme,culture
idea etc. and focus on this theme throughout the year. Say Insects
and base all the other subjects to correlate to the theme. It makes
sense! So in doing math you would relate it to your theme, doing
science etc. He is also basing this because of the Tymes (sp) study-
which is the test of math and science. Internationally we are at the
bottom in these two areas. The other countries that do not have near
the resources we do yet are always in the top form, this is because
they
go in depth on a topic and therefore even though they may not have
covered a topic given on the test they are able to solve by
deductive reasoning. They
understand the formula and can figure out problems>problem
solving!.Now the other thing he brought up ( and something which I'm
always emphasizing) is to activate the mind. It does no good to
teach a subject, go through the lessons and not apply it to anything
around you. Therefore it is not innate. It is not activated
learning. they are not applying that knowledge to problem solve. So
dealing with subject: KOSOVO- you could apply it to the studies
you've covered say: Viet Nam war, or W.W.II and find the
similarities and the differences the ways in which they are applying
force and cover the subjects by using the knowledge of another
similar topic and the outcome. Therefore this is activated learning.
I am sure this is why Reggio appeals to him. He also seemed to
respect E.D. Hirsch who was also a guest and part of the Tymes
study.
He is behind Coreknowledge and although they do take different
stands they are also respectful of each others work. Please look
over the web sites I posted, especially the Hirsch one because of
the
assessment on preschool and it also covers all grades.
Sandra
Originally posted to my ECE group:
Just finished listening to an interview with Howard gardner
-"The
Disciplined Mind"-Harvard professor-Project Zero and MI theory(who
talked of many things) and Professor E.D. Hirsch of "The schools we
need and why we don't have them". Interesting interview which I can
go into if anyone is interested email privately.
The reason I'm posting is because they both gave their web
sites.Gardner<
http://www.pz.harvard.edu/
E.D. Hirsch
http://www.coreknowledge.org/