Re: printmakers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ricki fromkin (fromkinr)
Sat, 08 May 1999 00:36:50 -0400

Betty Bowen wrote:

> Ricki - I went through my May 6 digest and can't find your original post,
> just noticed the replies.
>
> If I knew what state you are in, I might be able to help more.
>
> May I suggest (and I second the Karen Kunc idea)
> Jean Gumpper, now in the Denver area. Very beautiful meaningful work,
> usually involving nature and weather - color woodcuts
> Carol Summers, definitely, and his work won't be hard to find pictures of. -
> color woodcuts
> Louisa Chase (more active in the 80's?) - color woodcuts
> Warrington Colescott - satirical etchings
> Raymond Gloeckler - woodcuts - some satirical, some Catholic images, some
> satirical Catholic images
> Mark Sisson - social commentary - astonishingly labor intensive - boys
> especially love his work for some reason.
>
> I have a marked preference for artist-printmakers who make their own prints,
> rather than painters who have their work made by production studios like
> Tyler and Pace and Universal Limited and Crown Point, etc. then get
> exhibited as printmakers. I don't have the energy right now to deal with
> that becoming a thread or anything, it's just a personal prejudice as a
> printmaker who recently exhibited with a bunch of corporate-produced work.
>
> Here is a link for Oriel Cambria, a site that includes some very beautiful
> printmaking from Wales, Sandra Holroyd in particular - great aquatint
> control.
> http://www.oriel-cambria.co.uk
> here is a great site of printmaking links:
> http://www.mtsu.edu/~art/printmaking/print_links.html
>
> Clarke college in Iowa has a site that includes a print portfolio of
> University of Wisconsin printmaking alumni (I wasn't invited) that has some
> nice work. There is a link from here:
> http://keller.clarke.edu/~lkames/art_homepage/artlinks.html
>
> The womens studio workshop in NY also has a site with some good current
> images, I think it is WSW.org They also have (or had, at least, probably
> still do) a link to an excellent exhibit of Jewish women book artists. If
> you can't find that, search for "Diane Fine". She has a book there, and the
> link will come up in your search engine.
>
> good luck
> Betty in Oklahoma

Thanks Betty and Amanda for your replies. I appreciate it greatly.
While I was researching Karen Kunc, I found a website dedicated to women
printmakers from 1540-1940. I'm going to write a lesson using this
material, and I thought it might be of interest to some of you.

http://www.antiquecc.com/articles/may96/may4.html

By the way, I live in New Jersey.
Ricki