Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Lesson Plans

Re: Recycling clay- fungus and throats

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dianna (dmammone)
Thu, 6 May 1999 21:53:25 -0400

Twice a year I add a beer to my garbage can full of clay. (One for me, too!)
It encourages plasticity and sometimes mold. In clay, mold isn't always a
bad thing. It increases plasticity and makes it wonderful to throw with.
In China, potters would dig up clay, repackage it and stock it in a cave to
be passed on to future generations.
-----Original Message-----
From: Michelle H. Harrell <mmhar>
To: <>; <>
Date: Thursday, May 06, 1999 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: Recycling clay- fungus and throats

>Linda- Maybe NC does have something weird in the clay or air because the
>friend of mine who said she felt hoarse and sick was in NC, too! There is
>even some kind of fungus that has air-borne spores that can be deadly. I
>don't remember what source I heard that from. About preventing mold, I now
>keep clay covered tightly when in the buckets. Mold will grow on clay when
>it's exposed to air for long periods of time(I think- I'm not the expert).
>The dust that comes from dry clay is as bad for you to inhale as asbestos.
>There's no telling what makes us throats sore with all of the fumes, dust,
>and fungi we deal with from day to day.
>>From: "Fields, Linda" <>
>>To: "'Michelle H. Harrell'" <mmhar>
>>CC: "''" <>
>>Subject: RE: Recycling clay
>>Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:38:29 -0400
>>Maybe we have some weird fungi or mold or something in NC-I have the same
>>problem whenever my kids use clay for an extended period, but I always
>>thought it was the dust. Linda in NC BTW-how do you prevent mold from
>>growing in clay that is waiting to be recycled?
>Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit