Re: Recycling clay

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna Delafield (mdelafield@cfu-cybernet.net)
Thu, 6 May 1999 10:55:37 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Fields, Linda <fieldsl.us>
To: 'Michelle H. Harrell' <mmhar>
Cc: 'artsednet.edu' <artsednet.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 06, 1999 8:42 AM
Subject: RE: Recycling clay

>Maybe we have some weird fungi or mold or something in NC-I have the same
>problem whenever my kids use clay for an extended period, but I always
>thought it was the dust. Linda in NC BTW-how do you prevent mold from
>growing in clay that is waiting to be recycled?
>
> ----------
I am allergic to molds and mildew, and so the clay can cause some problems,
but I love to reuse clay. I just sneeze my way through the day. I have
been told that when we get bacteria into the clay it makes it more plastic.
A college text book from many years ago, mentioned that the Chinese potter
families would prepare clay and bury it in under a dung heap so that the
bacteria would form, making it easier to build and/or throw for the next
generation. I have had my students EXPLORE (with reference to Maryanne
Kohl and a recent post) the clay possibilities and then recycle so that the
clay would work better at the next class meeting. I nearly died when I
changed schools and the new teacher threw away about twenty buckets of clay
that I had carefully saved. I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. Marianna