Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.
>Maybe we have some weird fungi or mold or something in NC-I have the same
>problem whenever my kids use clay for an extended period, but I always
>thought it was the dust. Linda in NC BTW-how do you prevent mold from
>growing in clay that is waiting to be recycled?
> From: Michelle H. Harrell
> Sent: Thursday, May 06, 1999 8:15 AM
> To: smhause; AbeleSmith; colmans1;
I am allergic to molds and mildew, and so the clay can cause some problems,
but I love to reuse clay. I just sneeze my way through the day. I have
been told that when we get bacteria into the clay it makes it more plastic.
A college text book from many years ago, mentioned that the Chinese potter
families would prepare clay and bury it in under a dung heap so that the
bacteria would form, making it easier to build and/or throw for the next
generation. I have had my students EXPLORE (with reference to Maryanne
Kohl and a recent post) the clay possibilities and then recycle so that the
clay would work better at the next class meeting. I nearly died when I
changed schools and the new teacher threw away about twenty buckets of clay
that I had carefully saved. I'd have taken it in a heartbeat. Marianna