RE: Recycling clay

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:38:29 -0400

Maybe we have some weird fungi or mold or something in NC-I have the same
problem whenever my kids use clay for an extended period, but I always
thought it was the dust. Linda in NC BTW-how do you prevent mold from
growing in clay that is waiting to be recycled?

----------
From: Michelle H. Harrell
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 1999 8:15 AM
To: smhause; AbeleSmith; colmans1;
artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: Recycling clay

I've found that the 10 gallon buckets that ice cream comes in works
great for recycling clay. I have a big bucket for dry pieces and a couple
more for leather hard clay. Recycling clay is one of my clean-up duties
everyday along with sweeping, tables, etc. These middle school kids
actually fight over who gets to do it. Sometimes I catch them just working
their hands through it when it's not even their duty during class. They love
the mushy feel of the clay- it really is therapeutic! Only 7th and 8th
graders get to recycle clay because they are much better at wedging it and
know how to rotate it without making a huge mess. For about 3 months, I was
hoarse all of the time and could barely talk. Doctors couldn't figure it
out. Another ceramic teacher I know said that the same thing happened to
her one year because she didn't keep the clay buckets covered constantly.
Fungi in the air or something. I don't know if it's true but I have gotten
better.

Michelle H. Harrell
mmhar
North Garner Middle School
Garner, North Carolina
_____
/ \
( ) "Art is the form of the picture that has come
! ^ ^ ! into being through the nerves, heart,
^! * * ! ^ brain, and eye of man."
! \ ^ / ! -Edvard Munch
( ( 0 ) ) 1907
\ --- /
\ ! ! /
>From: "Sharon Hause" <smhause>
>To: AbeleSmith, colmans1,
artsednet.edu
>Subject: Re: Recycling clay
>Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 19:09:34 PDT
>
>All clay goes into large plastic buckets from the kitchen. I
continually add water to reconstitute. Art Survey students, who are new to
our dept.(we have too many to make a mess) and wheel work can take clay from
the new boxes. All advanced students, Art II 3-D, Ceramics III and IV must
reconstitute clay. Whenever we make plaster, we pour a new bat. This way
the students can spoon the wet clay onto a plaster bat and work it out until
manageable for handbuilts. They really don't like it, but we find that they
don't waste any or leave their clay out since it does take work to prepare
it for their projects.