Re: Recycling clay

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 05 May 1999 17:34:23 -0700

WRapf wrote:

> I can't imagine throwing away good clay. I recycle by putting all scraps,
> unclaimed greenware, or broken greenware into 5 gallon buckets with water. I
> let sit as long as several weeks and when everything is soft and slip-like, I
> pour off the excess water and "pour" and scoop the slip into a mound on one
> of the plaster wedging boards. Overnight, the clay is ready to be wedged
> and re-baged.

I'm with Bill on this. It's hard to believe, with all the whining on
this list about crummy budgets, that people would actually throw away
stuff they paid for, especially when it's very easily recycled.

I have the same process as Bill, except I only let it sit about a week,
so it's not slippy but still soft and lumpy and wedgeable. However, the
STUDENTS wedge it, for heaven's sakes, not ME! I feel that learning to
wedge is and should be an important part of your ceramics curriculum. If
my students don't wedge it themselves, they will have no clay to work
with.

Maggie