Re: guns, violence, art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
marianna Delafield (mdelafield@cfu-cybernet.net)
Mon, 3 May 1999 22:23:00 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: MaryAnn Kohl <maryann>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Monday, May 03, 1999 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: guns, violence, art

>> to protect our children from nuts like those 2 kids in Littleton????
> Can we get back to teaching art and not talking gun control on this
list? I don't mind talking about how we can affect the lives of the children
in our midst to prevent violent behavior, but the "gun topic" has kind of
made its rounds and the disucssion seems to have reached a natural end. If
others wish to keep it going, that's fine.
> it might be interesting to talk about violence shown in art with kids,
for example, how history or stories are recorded through paintings, how
carved Pacific Northwest Indian masks retell violent experiences. Violence
as a theme... don't know... .just thinking a little beyond the whole gun
control issue.

> MaryAnn Kohl
> maryann

Maybe now is the time to look at and discuss the art work by other artists
who responded to situations that they were unhappy about...Picasso with
Guernica, Beckman, Goya, Daumier and so on. I realize that this isn't
appropriate for all children at all levels, but it is important to know that
these people found an acceptable way to protest. Artist often take the lead
in protesting injustice. Marianna