Re: visual humor

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 03 May 1999 23:15:57 -0400

MPBC90 wrote:

> Norman Rockwell, American Illustrator. Talk about visual humor! He captured
> the essence of a time in history, literal moments in time and sometimes
> entire stories can be told from singular illustrations. Total realistic
> drawing lessons abound. Almost "photographic" qualities for history
> integration. His work is fun to explore with elementary. I am behind with
> my mail. Sorry if this is old, or a repeat.
> mp in NY

Yes I have done a lesson on Norman Rockwell from k-8th. He did not
only pose (compose)his pictures using live models but also took the
pictures and painted from them. This is why his pictures do have
that quality. Some of his models are still around, the children.
Sometimes he would have to repose and take new pictures if he wasn't
satisfied with the composition of the painting. He was humorous-
just look at the Dentist, lost tooth, or other humorous childlike
scenes. He was also the illustrator for not only "The Saturday
evening post", but also "Boys Life"!
Sandra