African Video

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Linda Kelty (lckelty)
Sun, 3 May 2099 18:32:53 -0400

Tracey wrote:
I have been approached to do the research for a
>series of educational videos with accompanying posters on various
>aspects of Southern African arts and crafts. I have a pretty good idea
>of what I want to say, but how to say it more effectively is not so
>easy. So now for the million dollar question.......
>If you could get a video made to order, what would you want in it and
>how would you want it said? It is aimed at the international market,
>middle to high schools, but we are not envisaging including lesson
>plans. The approach we are planning is to present the material not only
>in its original and traditional form, but also how it has evolved in
>recent times, and where it fits in to the life of the modern, urbanised,
>westernised African, so we will deal with process as well as cultural
>background.
>
>The last thing I want is for this to be dry and preachy. Any ideas?

Congratulations, first of all!!! Good for you. Hopefully you will include
plenty of African music, contemporary artists drawing paralells between
their work and traditional African art, discussions by children about the
meaning of their work in relation to their cultural heritage. Kids always
make interesting viewing for other kids, and real artists fascinate them.
Linda K. in Iowa