RE: Right Side of Brain and Semiotics

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Salvador Wilcox (salvador_wilcox)
Sat, 01 May 1999 18:18:08 PDT

of those mentioned, the most important in modern linguistics is noam
chomsky. his theory of syntax revolutionized linguistics in 1955 and he is
the authority on the subject. his theory of a universal grammar basically
says we are innately wired for language (not to be misunderstood as wired
for a specific language.) i would also examine the work of Steven Pinker
(he and chomsky hail from MIT), whose two major works are "how the mind
works" and "the language instinct." i'm not very much familiar with
chomsky's research (he seems to be along the lines of a philospher) but
pinker has done a lot of research, especailly involving language acquisition
in children. good luck.

salvador wilcox
(hoping for a dr. in linguistics in pittsburgh)