Re: shootings

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Wendy Manning (wmanning)
Sat, 01 May 1999 14:26:25 -0300

Here are some Canada-US statistics according to Maclean's (weekly newsmag):
Per 100,100 people US Canada
Guns 85,000 24,000
murders 7.6 2.0
murders without guns 2.4 1.4
murders with guns 5.2 0.6

Without guns, there's not much difference in the murder rate. With
guns.......
I'm not being smug here. There was a copycat murder in a school in Alberta
the other day. A boy who had been teased so much he was taken out and
home-schooled walked into his former school wearing a black trenchcoat and shot
2 students, killing one. According to the paper he had bragged about having a
hit list of people he was going to kill. The paper also said he didn't know the
2 boys he shot.