Re: Chernobyl virus

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 01 May 1999 09:27:24 -0700

Linda Kelty wrote:

> The latest and most dangerous virus is the Chernobyl virus, timed to coincide with the anniversary of the nuclear virus. It has already hit
hard in Europe. A

> The latest and most dangerous virus is the Chernobyl virus, timed to
> coincide with the anniversary of the nuclear virus. It has already
> hit hard in Europe. Absolutely DO NOT OPEN any e-mail with "It Takes
> Guts To Say Jesus" in the subject line. It will erase and scramble
> your hard drive. DELETE IMMEDIATELY!!

The Chernobyl virus is for real. However, merely opening e-mail will not
infect your computer with any virus. Opening an attachment is what can
cause the damage. The best way to keep from getting a virus is to not
open attachments, esp. from someone you don't know. With Melissa,
though, we've seen that viruses can be spread innocently by people you
_do_ know.

The "Jesus" virus is a hoax, and is not part of the Chernobyl virus.

Maggie