Re: Summer School Murals/art clubs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ellyn Wenk (ellyn)
Sun, 31 May 1998 13:09:02 -0500

suzette milam wrote:

> One of the
> boys was carrying in a box with 4 gallons when the box broke. All four
> gallons
> went.

Art teachers have so many of the same experiences it is uncanny. I had
a middle school art club and we were going to paint furniture with latex
orange paint, among other exciting choices. We needed to transport the
donated paints to my classroom at the elementary school from the middle
school. So we all loaded up what we could carry and set out to the van
which was down the carpeted hall. I went first, one of my students,
lets call her Mary , went in the middle and others followed. Mary
neglected to notice that the gallon of paint she was carrying was tipped
over and not sealed at all. As she walked she let a trail of bright
orange latex paint spill for the entire hall length. When I reached the
door I turned around to talk to them and noticed what was happening just
as the ones behind her noticed that they were stepping in it and
spreading it into the carpet.

We were panic stricken. And our futile efforts to clean it up only made
it worse. I reluctantly called our janitor. However, the janitor at
the middle school seemed undaunted, must be his age, seen it all, done
it all. He is an older fellow and we were friends as we talked
frequently. He and his crew cleaned it up for me. I am sure they had
some choice words for me when I was gone. I offered to bring them in a
six pack, but wouldn't you know it, they did not drink!! However I sure
felt like it after that.

Ellyn Wenk