tjanting and tjap in batik.....

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Sun, 31 May 1998 10:34:56 -0700

Courtney wrote:

>...In the traditional>process, different pens and brushes are used to
>apply the wax. The>'tjanting' is a special applicator that has a copper
>bowl and seven
>different spouts for pouring the liquid wax onto the cloth with a regulated
>flow. Another kind of applicator is a printing block called 'tjap' that
>made during the 19th century.

Dearest listserv members........For those in the "know"...how do you
pronounce the words "tjanting" and "tjap"? Duh! This sounds like a great
lesson I'd like to try with the flour mixture for younger kids this summer.
Do you need to thin down the tempera paint like watercolor? If we used
textile dye, would it be expensive? Can I find it at an arts/crafts store?

Would be eternally grateful for any response....Toodles.......

Bunki Kramer
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Rd.
Danville, California 94526