Re: [ArtsEd] Simplified Batik

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Sun, 31 May 1998 07:53:54 -0400

court wrote:

> To those who interested in Batik:
>
> My special and warm greetings go out to you---Gail611, Gina B., Susan S.,
> Freckles Spots, Skiart, San D, Sidnie... :)

thanks for the information.

now, here's the question: Can you re-flour (for lack of a better term), over your
dye, and then redye?

When I teach batik, I teach it like a subtraction linoleum, and that is, you dye
your lightest color first, wax over everything that stays that color, and then
dye your next color that will combine with that to make a new color. (we
obviously only use the primaries here, so the first waxing would be: wax
everything that is staying white, red or blue, and dye yellow--the second waxing
would be: remove wax from everything you want to be red or orange, keep wax on
the white and blue areas, put wax on the areas you want to stay yellow, dye red:
you will now have orange in the yellow exposed areas, red in the former unyellow
spots, the true yellows will be under the wax, and the white never got
dyed....see where I am going here?, then the last waxing would be blue, and
following the past instructions you would be getting a combination of true blue,
greens, and violets.) This requires a considerable amount of planning and
forethought on the part of the student, and the ability to think straight on the
part of the teacher (or you get happy accidents--and that isn't bad either).

San D