Re: Substitutes and Free-Drawing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
gregjuli
Sat, 30 May 1998 13:28:50 -0500

SBWellman wrote:

> Mary B. wrote:
>
> Forgive my sarcasm , but I feel our content area deserves better than a free
> for
> all. The time our students have in art is minimal in many cases. Let's use
> every
> minute they have and make it worthwhile.

> Wellman wrote -

> ...I have a major problem with this attitude. It depends on what grades you
> are talking about. Little kids get so much out of free-drawing. It gives
> them a rare
> freedom to express themselves purely. However, on the middle school level, I
> would have to agree with you.

Wellman,I never intended for anyone to have a major problem with this thought.
Just wanted to cast some light on the fact we have so little time with kids--- so
let's make the best of it! Yes, little kids love "free- draw" and many of them
get to do it at home with their crayons. So can't we take them a little further
in the classroom?
I am glad you agreeded about the middle school level, because they do need
definite directions.
It is always good to hear another point of view(yours), so please just take mine
as that also.

MaryB.