Re: Sending artwork home

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix E. Peshette (apeshet)
Sat, 30 May 1998 08:59:14 +0000

> Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 13:44:23 -0500
> From: Jonathan & Mary Barton <jmbcab>
> To: artsednet.edu
> Subject: Sending artwork home

Hi Mary,
I teach 7th grade exploring art and a 7th grade arts and crafts
class. The first project we do is a portfolio, made from a legal size file
folder. All projects stay in the portfolio, along with planning
sheets, skill worksheets and assessment sheets. At the end of the
quarter, students have a 'portfolio assessment' assignment. They
select their two best works and then go through a two page form that
asks questions about media, techniques, skills, etc. If they take
this portfolio home and do this process with an adult, they can get
extra credit points. A side benefit is the lovely comments I have
received from parents who are amazed to see what their students have
learned.

Even the students who don't do the adult participation part of the
portfolio assessment, are much more likely to take their artwork
home, intact, if it is in a portfolio!

-Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA