Re: batik help needed

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
ttipton.tz
Sat, 30 May 1998 08:09:53 +0300

I have done batik with 1-6th graders. Batik is a very common method
here in Africa to produce designs on fabric. The key to success is
combining the batik with tie-dye so that there are multiple options
for kids to choose from in making a design. For the younger grades,
it is the opposite - control and limit the choices.

Regards,
Teresa Tipton

From: bkingman
To: RWilson
Cc: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: batik help needed
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:58:36 EST

good question. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has
done batik with elementary grades--helpful hints on purchasing of
supplies, and the steps in the process. I have done it with high school
students(when i was student teaching a while back), but am wondering how
it would go with 5th or 6th graders.
thanks for any suggestions.
Holly

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 17:17:43 -0700 Ruth Wilson <RWilson>
writes:
>Has anyone had luck teachng batik to 5th and 6th graders using a
>tjanting tool to make wax lines on the cloth? Has anyone used
>something
>to get the wax lines on that works easily. I've tried a brush and it
>was
>okay but not great. The tjanting tool seems so hard to conrol for
>kids.
>Ruth

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]