[Fwd: Re: (no subject)]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
buttout
Wed, 27 May 1998 22:13:30 -0500

--------------5C0D24A21A38

> Hey DaArtEduc wrote:
> >
> > Well, that would be ideal to have a sub who knows something about art, but
> > that is not the case in my district. Also, the less things that the students
> > have access to while there is a sub, the less destructive things happen while
> > I am gone. I have tried to allow them to continue on their work and have come
> > back to a room that looked like a huge tornado went through it. I do this to
> > avoid that!!!!!!!!
> >
> > I am not sure that I agree, but we may be in different situations. I teach my
> > students independence through the arts and they are more than capable of
> > handling a "free draw day" If a student can not come up with an idea on their
> > own, then they need to find something else to do with their time. A good
> > artist is one that is not hand fed all of their ideas, but one who is
> > independant and confident enough to come up with their own unique ideas and
> > "free draw days" help develop this skill.
> >
> > Take care,
> >
> > Dave

Dear Dave-
No need to get defensive. I certainly understand why you have "free
drawing" to avoid returning to find your room in chaos-especially
since you don't have substitutes with knowledge of Artmaking.
I'm not disputing the approach to teach independent thinking when it
comes to personal ideas. My point wasn't that your students couldn't
handle a "free drawing day". I was just sharing how it is in my
district when selecting substitutes to take over when a project is in
progress. It is that very sense of independence that allows the
students to continue when I am not there and a substitute is.
Maybe I misunderstood you.I thought you were suggesting a "free draw
day" activity when a substitute would be taking over class as oppposed
to the "sub" being present and students continuing with their on-going
projects. Personally, I would prefer this so students are able to
complete their work and not experience delays due to my absence. I'm
sure we would both agree that our students are independent/motivated
enough to work on their projects. I agree, I don't wish to find my
room in a mess when I return either. To assure this won't happen, I
make sure I leave specific instructions regarding clean-up and
distribution of materials/supplies. I also have specific students in
class that are responsible for specific tasks regarding the room and
materials.
So far, it's worked. I admit having substitutes with Art backgrounds,
that are practicing artists, makes a difference but it is not always
possible in all school districts. Good Luck with your future
subtitutes and summer break.

Take Care,
Liz

--------------5C0D24A21A38

> Well, that would be ideal to have a sub who knows something about art, but
> that is not the case in my district. Also, the less things that the students
> have access to while there is a sub, the less destructive things happen while
> I am gone. I have tried to allow them to continue on their work and have come
> back to a room that looked like a huge tornado went through it. I do this to
> avoid that!!!!!!!!
>
> I am not sure that I agree, but we may be in different situations. I teach my
> students independence through the arts and they are more than capable of
> handling a "free draw day" If a student can not come up with an idea on their
> own, then they need to find something else to do with their time. A good
> artist is one that is not hand fed all of their ideas, but one who is
> independant and confident enough to come up with their own unique ideas and
> "free draw days" help develop this skill.
>
> Take care,
>
> Dave
Dave-no need to get defensive. I certainly understand why you have free
drawing to avoid returning to find your room in chaos-especially since
you do not have substitutes with knowledge of Artmaking.
I'm not disputing the approach to teach independent thinking when it
comes to personal ideas. My point was not that your students couldn't
handle a free drawing day. I was just sharing how it is in my district
when selecting substitutes to take over when a project is in progress.
It is that very sense of independence that allows the students to
continue when I am not there and a substitute is. Maybe I
misunderstood...I thought you were suggesting a "free draw day"