[Fwd: Re: Kilns - drawing course with photography]

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
buttout
Wed, 27 May 1998 22:06:09 -0500

Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 21:50:27 -0500
From: buttout
To: PicasoLovr
Subject: Re: Kilns - drawing course with photography

I too like texture but this was discovered by taking, in undergraduate
school, a variety of fundamental courses ranging from 2-d design, 3-d
design and then continuing with courses the following year.Freshman and
Sophmore year really exposed me to a variety of classes, techniques,
materials, ideas. I really knew my interests or forte by that point
because I had an oppportunity to be exposed to essentially all the
departments within the Art Department.It's this very reason why many
Art Departments have a required fundamentals or foundation year of
specific courses for Freshman/Sophmores to take before declaring a
major. Personally,in the beginning, doing thumbnail sketches are not
the best way to develop your drawing skills, techniques and development
of ideas. In the beginning, it is important to experience many
exercises with composition, contrast, scale, texture, etc.. This is
where a drawing class(as well as a 2-d/3-d design class) allows a
student to cover the basic elements and principles of design so when
they do find their forte-whether it is photogrpahy, computers,
painting, sculpture, etc., it's a matter of adjusting to the technical
needs,equipment. Personally, I feel the experience of taking a class
where one has a series of projects geared to explore the elements and
principle of design, on a fundamentals level, has a great advantage in
the development of content/ideas that is important and continues as the
individual experiences other courses at the intermediate and advanced
level.
My opinions are based on the fact that I have taught Drawing-Beginning
to Advanced, 2-d/ 3-d Design,Sculpture and Photography.