RE: Kilns

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Numo Jaeger and Michael Miller (jaegmil)
Tue, 26 May 1998 21:53:41 -0400

At 10:37 PM 5/26/98 +0000, you wrote:
Hi Michael,
It's true that firing the kiln is an very important part of the process but
I don't know of too many elementary thru high school programs that actually
allow the students to fire the kilns.

Programming the kiln and learning about ramping can be turned into an
interesting assignment which could teach quite a bit about the firing
process. Students can chart the rate of temperature climb and calculate the
actual firing time. What would be the best number of degrees per hour to
fire specific pieces...like sculpture or functional ware. What would be the
most cost effective and accomplish the task...

Once upon a time ceramics artists/potters used to judge the temperature of
the kiln by the color inside, then cones were invented. Now we have
computer chips! It's just another step in the process.

Other firing processes can teach basic information, if it's allowed. The
raku process is great for teaching basics and the student is intimately
involved in the complete process.

Numo Jaeger
Ceramics Department
Studio One Art Center