RE: Teachers kids being bad

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Fields, Linda (fieldsl.us)
Mon, 25 May 1998 11:22:07 -0400

I have been thinking about this topic since it was first brought up. I
think we need to realize that teachers' kids are "just kids"-no better,
no worse than anyone else's. The difference, I think, is that our
expectations are higher for them, so when they fail, it seems worse
somehow. I was a teacher's kid-in fact, I was a principal, then
superintendent's kid. I often say that I was "so goody-goody, I was
boring" The expectations my parents had for me were extremely high. I
was constantly told that people would judge my father by my
behavior-quite a burden to put on a child. Sometimes I was not allowed
to participate in things like scholarship competitions so that no one
would think I had gotten them because of who I was. I vowed never to do
that to my own children. Unfortunately, I think I did a little bit,
although they were never prevented from going after something. I often
worried how their behavior would reflect on me or their father. I had
to teach my own children when they were in middle school. I thought it
was phony to make them call me anything other than Mom-after all,
everyone knew I was. They were sometimes given a hard time but mostly by
kids, not teachers. The thing they hated most was that I always knew
what was going on-papers, due dates, trouble, etc.
Within the last 2 years I have taught the children of my
principal and asst. principal. I think my own experiences made me more
empathetic to their feelings and situations and I often defended them to
kids. Linda