Re: 6th grade lesson plan suggestions, please.Long post

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Mon, 25 May 1998 00:18:54 -0400

SusanF5133 wrote:

But are there any suggestions for a one day
> lesson plan for looking and learning and thinking about archaeological
> artifacts?
> Any suggestions would be well received.
> Susan Floyd
> Fort Guijarros Museum Foundation

I would suggest having a few lessons on hand. Also some extra things
to occupy them as kids tend to not stick to timeframes. In other
words be prepared. You will probably have kids from 10-12 years.
This is a good age because they are self sufficient, in being able
to follow through and not needing hovering guidance!

I would also suggest having a few handouts, which you probably have.
You could do several things in a day.
Tool Making
Crayon Rubbing(to get a fossil look)
Excavating in Fish Tank
Mummies
Creating a habitat from given era
Making a fossil cast
Taking a culture-i.e.Chinchen Itza(Mexico)-I know I misspelled but
can't find the correct spelling.Having an excavation of the Pyramids
there.
Eyewitness Books are great in helping with ideas and museum Quality
pictures. Go to Library or look in book stores under children's
section.

Of course the experience is what you are after in a lesson and not a
product. Here is a lesson they can take home. This is from my head
so you will have to add the lingo of your trade.

Lesson:
Making your own Fossil

You will need these supplies:
Modeling clay/Plasticine
Plastic dinosaurs,shells, bones, teeth,leaves, etc.
Plaster of paris
Tray to put plaster in,or pot pie aluminum tray
Bucket/Water
Pencil-to carve initials in

Brief History:
We know that dinosaurs existed because their fossil bones and
footprints have been found. Fossils, the preserved remains of
ancient plants and animals,are often found in rock. When an dinosaur
died, the soft part of his body rotted away,leaving only the bones
and teeth. some skeletons were preserved in layers of sand and mud.
Minerals carried in water soaked into the bones and, over millions
of years turned to stone.
Today we are going to make our own fossils to take home.

1)Pass out a piece of clay to everyone have them flatten it to a
half inch or so. You can use a roller or block,plastic glass etc.
2)Have them come up and pick what they are going to make into a
fossil,or pass out plastic dinosaurs.
3)Press the object into the clay.Remove when you have a successful
print.
4)Place in a tin pot pie shell,and pour wet plaster over clay
impression.
5)Let dry and remove carefully.
give the plastic dinosaur as a souvenir to take home.

The bucket and water is for the plaster.
be sure to have books around for them to look through quietly when
done.

sandra
If you need any of the other ideas,I'm sure I could type them up.
They're from my head but I can visualize the projects.

--
john barrick
Sandra Barrick