Re: [ArtsEd] Re: batik

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kurt Hasselman (kprs)
Thu, 21 May 1998 19:20:10 -0400

I also like to teach batik in conjunction with subtraction linoleum. It seems
some of the same concepts are shared, such as the notion of printing/dying
lights to darks, or the idea of mixing inks/dyes in the layers. While in
subtraction linoleum colors are "cut away" after being printing, batik colors
are "covered" in wax after printing. Most definitely, the notion of doing a
planned out drawing with color "separations" in mind is needed for both
process, although happy accidents are always welcomed during the processes. The
subtraction linoleum can be used as a fabric decoration, and the batik can be
used as a matted piece, so there can be some crossover as well.

Just a thought.

San D