[ArtsEd] Re: batik

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
court
Fri, 22 May 1998 00:41:25 +0800

At 03:02 AM 5/20/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Do you dare teach the age old craft of batik?
>Do you do it in the traditional way or do you have short cuts?
>In a contry where it is one of the cultural expressions, I'm thinking a
>"master" might be in the way of a teacher in the classroom tring a more
>inovating method.
> Just questions motivated by your ArtsEdNet post.
> answer............kenney5...Joan

____________________
:) I don't know what you mean by 'dare', but the thing is that the process
of making batik can indeed be taught.

In fact, there is a simplified version for this process, which can be
taught to young kids--I suppose that this is the so-called 'short cut'
method you are asking for. One of the traditional ways of doing this is
using wax. Meanwhile, the modified version makes use of a mixture of flour
and water (now, that's innovation). Strange as it may seem but it works.
I can not claim to be a master in batik, but I can probably give you proper
steps that you can follow to make batik based on the training my own
teacher gave me.

As to cultural expression, batik is not indigenously Filipino. If you ask
most people here where batik is usually done, they'd say that it's from
Indonesia. Although there are a few Muslim tribes in Mindanao (in the
south of the Philippines) who make them and claim it to be a part of their
cultural expression. But then this could be due to their proximity to
Indonesia--it is geographically evident to point out where this practice
originated from. Because batik is seen and done around this region of Asia
(like Brunei & Malaysia, but mostly in Indonesia), it can be considered
Southeast Asian.

Maybe you have other ideas just let me know. :)

Courtney