[ArtsEd] Philippine Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
court
Wed, 20 May 1998 18:57:21 +0800

Marsha, thanks for the encouraging words! :)

As to ideas about art in the Philippines, I have lots of ideas. Let me
just introduce these by saying that our ethnic traditional arts here are
classified as functional art and craft-based. These make use of indigenous
materials. We have our own local small-scale and medium-scale industries
which include basketry & weaving (using various kinds of fiber), furniture
(combining local fibers and wood material), jewelry (a combination of beads
and other materials), pottery (like ceramics, terracotta, and fine-bone
china), metal craft (like cutlery), papercraft (mostly of papermaché and
hand-made papers), wood-carving (a tradition in a number of towns in the
Tagalog provinces), and a lot more.

As for our modern arts, due to our Spanish and American historical
influences, we follow a very western tradition. Art is also quite
commercial here; in fact, there are mall galleries in almost every shopping
district. To give you a general description of what kind of western
influence we have, our sense of realism in painting is very European in the
neo-classical and romantic traditions. Meanwhile, for the abstract and
semi-abstract art, there are artists who adhere to local ethnic patterns
and designs. There are also other artists who have been exposed to western
culture and hence, you will find traces of expressionism, cubism,
surrealism, fauvism, dadaism, pop-art and the like in their works. But it
seems that due to our cultural background and the past economic condition
of our country, our art seems to manifest a great deal of minimalism.

If there is any particular area you are interested in, don't hesitate to
e-mail me for lesson plan ideas on some Philippine native crafts. Just
pick out a local craft you'd like me to tell you about and we can take off
from there.

Courtney