Re: a cold remedy

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Mon, 18 May 1998 21:05:30 -0700

Nancy Markowich wrote:

> Diane L. wrote: I'm
> > happy to report that the cold I have now (and for the past 3 weeks, due I
> > believe to the kid who sneezed in my face while I was helping him put
> > feather 'hair' on his puppet, is just about gone. <snip>

> Diane, To prevent colds many of us use Echinacea-Golden Seal which are
> natural herb pills. As soon as you feel the symptoms of a cold take
> several pills every four hours. Some teachers like to use Zinc. It
> really helps when the kids are snorting and sneezing all over us.

Also, be OBSESSIVE about washing your hands with soap and water. Wash
them at least every hour, and keep a big bottle of hand lotion around.
And get plenty of exercise--a half hour a day if possible. Research
indicates that people who exercise either rarely get colds, or have very
minor ones. I'm living anecdotal evidence. My favorite remedy if I do
start to feel one coming on is my mother's "Russian Tea" mix: 2 parts
instant iced tea with lemon and sugar, 1 part Tang, some powdered cloves
and cinammon. I drink cups and cups all day. I think the combination of
heat, liquid, and vitamin C do the trick.

Maggie