Equestrian Figures

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Faye Powe (FPowe)
Mon, 18 May 1998 09:25:08 -0400

As far as I know, the following information is a myth. I'm not sure why it
is so often repeated.

Faye Powe
Office of Educational Programs
National Museum of American Art
Smithsonian Institution

Maahmaah wrote:

> Facts about art & architecture.
> <snip>
> If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the
air,
> the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the
> person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has
all
> four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Thanks for this! I've been searching everywhere for this info. If I
remember correctly regarding Confederate army monuments, the
direction
the horse and rider face indicates whether he died in the north or the
south. Anyone from Richmond out there who can confirm this?

Maggie